Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Smashed it...No, not on St. Paddy's day... or, the power of music

So, I've been working hard to get past that blasted 12 to 12.5 minute mile pace I have been stuck at on the elliptical.  And, to be frank, I have my own personal playlist I use at the gym--but after a bit of research, I find that the playlist is best really for cleaning the kitchen, or scrubbing my toilets.  (Adele anyone?)

So, I looked it up...man, everything is on the internet.   Since I am trying to cut my time, and increase the distance I complete in a 60 minute session, I had to find something better to listen to.  Yeah, I am a bit competitive with myself, I admit.  Which is why Average Joe really should get me to compete with myself rather than with someone else, who may "make it to the wall of fame" before me.

Sorry, Average Joe, I really don't care how other people view me--I care about what I can accomplish...it's trial and error for me.  So, during my few days off this week, I downloaded what I can for my "Maggie" playlist--you know the one with Adele and Jewel...as well as a few old songs that shouldn't be there for a workout--like "One Headlight," but it brings back such memories.

Here are a few of the songs I found that really got my blood pumping to push me through some hard earned goals...I will be adding a few more later:
Now, the beat on this is just perfect--but if you're like me, you actually listen to the words, because just about all songs tell some sort of story.  This is actually a sad story, but good beat.
This is from my daughters playlist -- and for running it really should be a bit faster, but I love the words...it brings me back to why I am doing this "getting in shape thing."
Ever since my hubby was downrange the first time, and started watching "Veronica Mars," I have loved this song.   There is a faster version somewhere out there.

I can't seem to make a playlist without the Clash, it's in my blood.
This song makes me feel naughty and good all at the same time, so I punch through that last bit of a mile with it.

There are also two songs I chose to slow down to, usually use them both, one for a warm up and one for the cool down:
And the Final song--I like to end on this:

I found today, that choice of music can really make my work-out.  While I am old and set in my ways, I will be searching for more songs to push it with.   Better yet, Smash it.

Hubby recommends Pantera, "Walk," but it didn't make my pop cut :)

What do you go for when you are looking for something to help you push yourself?

<3 Maggie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment