Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Learning Curve, or, I am just not 18 anymore

I meant to write this yesterday, since there was literally absolutely nothing else I could do anyhow.  Instead, I ended up watching "Downton Abbey," yet again, longing for a time that insults had class. The first season is available streaming on Netflix, if you too want  a time when insults had class.  It also has Dame Maggie Smith as a snarky old Dowager Countess, which just adds to the allure for me also, but again, I digress.

This past Sunday, I got it into my head that I needed to walk the kids until they were so tired they could barely move, you know so I could study in peace without Aidan running in every few minutes begging to use the iPhone and play his crazy animal and dragon apps.  So we walked, and walked, and walked, a total of 6.5 miles and a trip to the local library, grocery store and IHOP, because half way through the walk (we still had to return home) the kids were starved.

The whole time, the littlest, Aidan, complained every ten feet that his ankle was broken.   He had to stop all the time and complain that his foot may fall off, mostly because he really didn't want to be walking...that is, until we arrive at the playground, where he was miraculously healed until we left again for the trek home.   Timmy and Maddie were real troopers and just kept going, and going, like the energizer bunny.
Photo Credit


It's been a while since I walked so much (add a little jogging hunting down Aidan with his 'broken ankle').  When I was 21, I had Timmy.  A little over 11 months later, I had Maddie.  6 months after Maddie, I somehow got it into my head that I wanted to get promoted in the Army and the PT test was ALL a mental game.  It's really not, you should practice.  Anyhow, shortly before my promotion (I had to go to a school, then called Primary Leadership Development Course, PLDC,  now called Warrior Leaders Course, WLC), my grandfather died.  I was close to him after nursing him quite a lot at 15-18 until I joined the Army, after backpacking around Europe with my sister and cousin--tha'ts another story. 
This is me, glacier climbing in the Alps.  We didn't just backpack, we filled days with cool things like canyoning, drinking local beers, glacier climbing, drinking local beers, visiting cathedrals, drinking local beers, and walking on cobblestones in 3-4 inch heels.  Awesome.  And, once in a while we splurged for a local beer. Or five.  Or we carried a six pack in each of our backpacks for the train rides.

When I took the PT test, six months after Madison was born, I felt these god-awful pains in my legs.  I didn't finish the test, I ran about 1.5 miles and stopped, which is a no-no.  My supervisor had Matt (who was as always, cheering me on and trying to pace me to beat the time I needed to, always the fabulously encouraging hubby) take me to the ER, so they could find out if anything was wrong with me--so he didn't have to count the test as a failure.

It was the last PT test I would ever take. I didn't just have average shin splints as I thought, I had stress fractures from hip to toe. Literally, the doctors all came in as a team and told me, had I run a mere 100 yards more, I would have shattered both legs, as it was, I would never run again. I would not even be allowed to do the 'walk' PT test, I would only be allowed to swim.  My career was over in the Army--although I was in for another two years.

Flash forward to the walk with Aidan's broken foot. After the walk, my legs cramped up a bit.  I figured I just needed to work it out.  So I went to training yesterday.

Oh sweet Jesus, so much pain.  I did the hour with Average Joe, in constant pain, and then took an hour off to do the elliptical, refreshed.   The leg day had me moving like I was 90, it took 33 minutes on the elliptical for my legs to 'loosen up' so I could bare to get through the measly 5 miles and 60 minutes. 

That's a 12.5 minute mile in case you're counting.

I went home and got in the bath -- I couldn't bear to stand up for the shower. 

Suddenly, as I lay in bed, both legs elevated, I have been in this position before, about 11 years ago.  Shin splints, ripping apart my muscles and slapping against my bones, causing minor stress fractures.
Photo Credit
Sure, I can tape my legs and fight through, but I have already been down this road. But, instead, I will talk to Average Joe and get his recommendation as to how to work out to keep up my momentum but not further damage my legs.   That's all I need, right?  To be 3,000 miles away from my husband in full leg casts with three kids to try and chase after.   Good God, I hope his compassionate reassignment comes through, so I have someone at home who knows how to ice me up...and more so I can have the momentum kept up, so I don't stress out as easily.

Back to "Downton Abbey" and insults that have class.

<3 Maggie

2 comments:

  1. First, your youngest sounds like my middle and first children rolled into one! Second, don't end up in a wheelchair!!!

    ReplyDelete